9.03.2002

 
What the hell is up with Snoop giving up weed? The same Snoop Doggy Dogg, who Entertainment Weekly called the "Maharaja of Marijuana" giving up bud? Can this be? This is one of those really dumb things that happens that still manages to shake my understanding of the world around me to the ground. September just never ceases to jerk me around.

On the other hand, kudos to the Doggfather for making the move. It's no secret that I am not the biggest fan of rap music, but I confess a certain soft spot for the melodies of Snoop, in particular those laid down with a certain doctor friend of his. I think part of the reason I have always liked snoop is that he seems to be the most real person of all the rappers that came out in the 90s and those that have sinced followed them. Seriously, Snoop may have been putting down gangsta rhythms or whatever, but take a look at his videos. That who he was. Even as far back as something like "Let Me Ride" with Dre, it was about them and the music. Look at guys now: the whole thing is about getting girls on camera to shake their booty. That's it. Asses and boobs all over the place. Meanwhile, even in "Gin and Juice," Snoop is making fun of the whole scene in some way.

Ever since beating the murder charge, the guy really has changed his life around too. Ever since he became a father, he started showing some serious dedication to his family. He's been true to his wife and his now three kids (I think anyway. Admittedly, I'm not a Snoop expert, but the guy just gives me a good feeling, unlike most pop stars in general). And now the guy is giving up smoking pot, which has really become an essential part of his identity. He once swore that he would die before he quit smoking up, but now life is changed, and he's ready to make changes to himself to meet the changes in his life.

Bravo, Doggy Dogg.

But still, Snoop gave up bud. Still throws me for a loop.